In my last post I in no way meant to offend anyone by my statement of "being one of those moms". I understand why moms do it...I truly do. I've been thinking about it though. If everyone with morals decided to take their kids out of hard or bad situations...where does that leave everyone else?? Heavenly Father wants us to be good examples. He was wants us to share the Gospel with others. Christ often mingled with those who were not the best choice makers. Who am I to take Maddy out of a situation that might lead her to a missionary moment or just flat out being a good example. She could do her friends or the others around her a lot of good. Not that she is better than they are...just different. This thought came to me and confirmed my choice to keep Maddy on the bus. Thought I'd share. Thanks to everyone who commented, I appreciate others thoughts and views.
Friday, September 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






4 comments:
I definitely didn't take any offense to the reference of being "one of those moms"...in fact I KNOW that I am perhaps at times too protective of my children. I can't help it. Yes, we are supposed to be good examples to others, and I think you're great to face these obstacles.
I know its tough-I kind of did both-when my oldest was in kindergarten I drove him in the mornings but let him ride home when it was just the kindergarteners. Then in 1st grade he rode a little more. But we had to have many talks. My second will start K in another week and he will mostly ride the bus-I feel a little more comfortable about it because they have each other. But I know what you mean its a tough decision. I think everybody has to decide on whats right for their child; but regardless of if they ride the bus or not-there will always be these issues. Sigh-it makes the road of parenting ahead daunting eh?
Don't worry I wasn't offended at all, and I admire your choice in letting them have missionary oppurtunities and be a light unto the world... I wish I was that brave. I tend to be overprotective with the boys, hopefully I'll lossen up more as they get older.
You are entitled to be inspired for your child. Not every child and every situation is the same. Good for you to take it to prayer.
We have been on and off with the bus. Right now it is not so bad because Andrew's has several good kids on his bus. When we lived in Katy, I chose to drive him to the first crossing guard and then let him walk the rest of the way because he was in tears every day. He had enough other things stressing him out, he didn't need to start the day off being harassed by a bully. He was tired enough at the end of the day, he didn't need to end each day dealing with the bully either.
If some day, it doesn't feel right anymore, I am sure she will still get plenty of opportunities to be a missionary just at school alone.
We can't shelter our kids from everything but we can sure try to protect them from what they are not emotionally ready to handle yet.
Thank goodness we have a Father in Heaven who knows what is best for each of us. :)
Post a Comment