Monday, September 27, 2010

ongoings

This month we have been working with Emmy on potty training. I HATE potty training. When Maddy went through it I was prego with Emmy and I got so frustrated and mad about cleaning up piles of poop and puddles that I quit. I absolutely refused to potty train Maddy for the duration of my pregnancy. Adam didn't like this and voiced that Maddy was going to be in diapers until she was 27. I didn't care at that point. I was willing to change her diapers until that age, what ever it took for me NOT to have to potty train. Well, I went into potty training Emmy with this same attitude and at first it showed. Emmy didn't want to use the potty or would pee in her diaper and then tell us she had to use the potty. So again, I quit. Until she was ready and could tell me on her own that she wanted to use the potty at the appropriate time, I wasn't going to do it. More frustration on Adams part. Well about 2-3 weeks ago Emmy said she had to go potty and she did, in the potty. But only pee pee. She would hide and go poop in her diaper just like her sister. Then one day she said she had to go potty, but nothing came out. Then 45 mins later she said the same thing with the same result. Then 45 mins after that she had to go potty again....this time I made her sit on the potty until something came out. That was the last day that she was afraid to go poo poo on the potty. She just had to get over the anxiety of pooing on the potty. So we've graduated to pull ups and she is going all day keeping it dry and clean. And now, we've graduated to panties. Other than one day, 20 mins after I put her in them she peed in front of the potty trying to get them off, she has kept her panties clean and dry. I'm so proud of Emmy for potty training so well. This experience has been much easier than with Maddy. But then they say the second one is. I'm so excited to know that I will only have one more to potty train and then I will be done. Done, done, done!!!


All is well with the baby. I'm measuring appropriately for 31 weeks and I'm starting to pop. I have 6 weeks and 3 days left until my section on Nov 11. I can't wait!!

Maddy came home from school last week saying that her teacher made her sit on a bench for the entire recess and that she didn't do anything. When pressed for what she really did to have to sit on the bench, she told me that she kissed a boy. The exact same boy I had just told her to stay away from that morning. He's one the of the boys that gets sent to the office on a daily basis or misbehaves. He's also been telling Maddy she needs to do something nicer with her hair. Not really someone I want her being around. She already has self image and self esteem issues at the age of 5. I don't need some punk telling my daughter to change herself for him or anyone. So Adam and I got the chance to talk to her about when the appropriate age to kiss is. I've had lots of people tell me that it's cute and that it's what 5 yr old girls do. I've also been told that the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree. In this case yes, I was a boy chaser and looking back I realize how dumb I was. Instead of paying attention to important things like school and developing myself, I was to worried about if a boy liked me or not. That was my obsession. If I kissed him would he like me more? I want Maddy to focus on more important things. I want her to know that her life and happiness does NOT depend on if a boy likes her or not.
I want her to know that she is a beautiful girl with many talents and gifts to give. She is smart and funny and caring. Those are the things I want her to show and give to others. I don't want her to think she has to give physical things to a boy to get him to like her. Those are the things I wish I had done or realized.

The girls are both so excited for the baby to come. Maddy can't believe that we only have October and then Bekah will be here. So excited!!! :)

2 comments:

The Yates Family said...

That's so awesome - only 6 weeks! Our girls will be exactly 1 year and 1 week apart! So cool. I'm looking forward to pictures (hint hint). Love you guys!

Susie-Q said...

Good for you for teaching Maddy. You'll have to help me when Talia gets to that stage. I am terrified of what Talia will go through, knowing what I went through. So, good for you for knowing and trying to help her. Love you lots!! And Yay for a baby soon!!